Monitor the situation – constantly
You can avoid hypothermia and frostbite by regularly monitoring your status and the status of the other members of your party during the trek. The goal is to always be dry, warm and well-fed.
Check list for evaluating yourself and your companions:
• Are you eating and drinking regularly?
• Do you have the right clothing for the situation? Are you too warm? Are you sweating? Are you cold?
• Are your clothes and boots dry?
• Do you have any feeling in your fingers and face?
• Do you have any feeling in your toes and feet? Remove your boots if you are unsure.
If the answer to any of the above questions requires that you take action, do so immediately. Putting it off only means that you risk having problems later on during the trek.